Kitchen Kitchen Kitchen
Last spring Brady, Deacon and I were at Home Depot buying baseboards and stuff to start working on the house. I had this idea of putting new cabinets in and redoing the kitchen and whatever. Brady and Deacon both thought I was crazy. As we were walking around we walked past the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kits. I had never heard of them before and I was interested. As soon as the guys saw me walking towards the kits they both said “NO!” Deacon said it was a scam, you could never repaint your cabinets without sanding them. Brady just said no.
Over the last year I kept nagging Brady to let me re-stain the cabinets or let me glaze them or just do something with them! He kept telling me that it wasn’t worth it and we weren’t doing it. In January I kind of gave up on doing anything with them. I was content that Brady said I could get pulls and knobs for them. I even decided I didn’t want to do anything with them because it would be such a big project.
The beginning of February Brady decided to let me hire a painter! I had the kitchen, living room, hall and bathroom done and they look so good! 3 days after the painter left Brady told me I could have him come back and do the basement bathroom and the family room. Then he decided if we were doing that we needed new house numbers, a new porch light, a new kick plate and pretty much anything else you can buy at home depot! We spent 2 hours there one morning last week!
While we were on our Home Depot shopping spree, Brady starts looking at the Cabinet Transformation Kits and says “What color would you do?” And I looked and said “I don’t know, one of these dark ones” and next thing I know he is putting it in the basket. I just stood there. I finally got over doing the stupid project and now we are buying it!!!! And that is where the transformation begins J
This is the kitchen before the new paint.
I started the cabinets on a Friday afternoon. I took all of the doors and drawers off. It wasn’t too much of a hassle. Then you do this thing where you degloss the frame and doors. I think that was the worst part. It required a little elbow grease and my wrists started hurting from pushing so hard to get the finish off. I didn’t wear gloves and I wish I would have because the stuff dried out my hands and made them burn. It didn’t have a strong odor which I was happy about because Landry was home with me.
After you degloss everything you have to wait for them to dry for an hour. That wasn’t bad since I did the frame first, I could do the doors and drawers while it dried. I found that doing it this way made it so during my drying times, I was still staying busy and that kept the project from dragging out. After everything was dried I painted the first coat. It was actually pretty fun. The first coat I wasn’t worried about good coverage, I just wanted to make sure I had a good base on there. Then that dried for 2 hours. Then I did a second coat, this coat covered everything. I was so excited about the way they were turning out!!
They had to cure for 12 hours before rehanging
After that the top coat went on. The top coat was so runny, it was like water. It kept forming puddles in some of the corners but I thought it dried clear so I wasn’t too worried. WRONG! Where it had puddled, it dried white. I was so mad! Luckily I had only coated one frame when I figured this out. It was really easy to fix, I just put a little of the base coat over it and it covered it really good.
It took me about 2 days to finish. I love it and I wish Brady would have let me do this a year ago! Next week we are going to try the Countertop Transformation and see how that goes. Then we have one more project in the kitchen and we will be done!! J







Comments
Post a Comment